Some reflections on what I have learned from the Higgs-Boson “Discovery” from CERN (the European Organization for Nuclear Research, is the world's leading laboratory for particle physics.)
1) Mathematicians and Physicists just might rule the world.
2) More than 3000 scientists, a whole lot of money, and some crazy technology confirmed the “reality” of something scientists hypothesized decades ago. Think about the brain-power involved to figure out this “basic building block” of life and what it means for us to work together to try to figure out “reality.”
3) No Theologians or Religious Persons were needed.
4) I thought I was smart when I passed A.P. Chemistry in High School. So wrong! Even as I read about this stuff, I can’t get my mind around it.
5) The more I read to understand this, the more I realize I don’t understand it. The more I realize how infinitely complex “reality” and “life” and “existence” and “matter” are.
6) People who think they’ve got life figured out – are clueless to how little they know.
7) I value the work of science.
8) I love that a woman was in the lead physicist in charge.
9) Even as we "know" more about "reality" life remains Mystery.
Positive identification of the new particle’s characteristics will take considerable time and data. But whatever form the Higgs particle takes, our knowledge of the fundamental structure of matter is about to take a major step forward.