Sunday, February 27, 2011

Bill Bryson - Shakespeare et al.

My first opportunity to be delighted by Bill Bryson was several years ago - when I picked up his Walk in the Woods:  Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail.

I loved his dry humor, his "knack" for re-telling simple stories in funny narrative, and his ability to mix his own experiences with the experiences of others with a touch of encyclopedic/research data that teaches while it entertains. 

Additionally, the text was an audio-read for me - read by the author - and I enjoyed his pace, tone and tenor as I "walked" with him both through the book and through the Appalachians!  (Someday I'll get to hike it myself.  Someday!)

Since that reading years ago - I have thoroughly enjoyed each of the other books I've read by Bryson - except his personal memoir - the Thunderbolt Kid. So, No to Thunderbolt - but a big hearty sense of learning and enjoyment in reading (or audio-reading!) each of the following, including Walk in the Woods - AND:  A Short History of Nearly Everything, -- Notes from a Small Island,  --  In a Sunburned Country, and - most recently - Shakespeare:  The World As Stage.

With the completion of Shakespeare, like Bryson's other texts - I was amused and enlightened. In that sense, Bryson is both a great writer - and teacher!

No comments: