Friday, July 09, 2010

Libraries, Research, Scholars, Jews, Christians, Wesleyans, Nazarenes and Friends.




Pictured here with my "Bodleian Libraries" reader card! I was sworn in by the oath, taken by centuries of scholars.

I hereby undertake not to remove from the Library, nor to mark, deface, or injure in any way, any volume, document or other object belonging to it or in its custody; not to bring into the Library, or kindle therein, any fire or flame, and not to smoke in the Library; and I promise to obey all rules of the Library.


The day before I was not permitted to enter the Radliffe Camera - but moments after taking this picture I showed my reader card and went in to start some research connected to my work here on Jewish-Christian relationships.

The last few days included a gamut of reading - but also delightful conversation. My colleagues here in Oxford include a truly eclectic group. Medieval scholars, Chaucer scholars, Church historians, Jewish historians, a Gaelic scholar, a Midrash Scholar, Literature Scholars and at another colleague specializing in Jewish-Christian perspectives from the period following the Roman destruction of the Temple in 70 CE.

The first several days have included insight on how Christians viewed Jews, in particular, from Augustine to Isodore of Seville. Jeremy Cohen from Tel-Aviv University has been a gracious and astute guide for our first days of discussion. Many good connections for me to have made - and I was delighted to have a personal connection with discerning Isodore's work in light of past travel I made to Toledo, Spain.

I gathered for Evensong at Christ Church College of the University of Oxford, where John and Charles Wesley were ordained.

Tomorrow I head to Manchester for a reunion at Nazarene Theological College, where I completed my programme of study for my Ph.D. from the University of Manchester!

I pass a Quaker Meeting House where I will have opportunity to gather for meetings on Tuesdays and Thursdays as I make time to orient my days.

Here I am pictured outside the Oxford Centre for Hebrew and Jewish Study where we gather for our shared dialogue. A perfect place to share conversation.

No comments: