Wednesday, January 25, 2012

As I leave Jerusalem

I sit at the Ben Gurion Airport in Tel Aviv as I type.  I'll be flying home to continue the work I do among learners in Oklahoma City.  (Mind you, I haven't left it even while here - managing several lectures and course assignments online each day!) 

I am struck by the vast cultural differences that exist in different places in the world, and how much I wish persons around the globe could look beyond differences in appearances, languages, and preferences to discern relationship with one another in peaceable ways.

It seems to me that, as a percentage of persons alive in the world, there are very few who actively espouse hate.  Oh, we're all selfish in some ways - and ethnocentrism is a normal bias for any human person.  We discern best our own language, our own customs and our own styles of dress or types of food!  And yet, very few espouse and antagonize. 

It is a privilege for me to work toward greater peace in our world - and I know I do not do it alone!

Thanks to all who work for peace!

No comments: