Monday, February 25, 2013

Do Americans uniquely distance themselves from one another?

A new word for today - Nacirema.

It is the word, "American", backwards.  The term was first used in 1956 and I've never heard of it until now!

The idea is that sociologists and anthropologists are finding that Americans are uniquely dis-connecting one from another.  Connecting, perhaps through social media or online - but not one with another.  And, even online engagement is a form of disconnection and lack of full-presentation, as it is most easily manipulated.

I'm intrigued by the idea of it as I hope for myself, my family, and those that I engage in learning and social contexts to be engaged and empathetic and fully alive one with another!

What if we're teaching people to become experts, the best in their class, but, in the process they don't learn how to be creative & imaginative - and they don't grow and they don't become full persons?

Here's the perspective of one Class Valedictorian:






The full text of her insightful words - available as a full transcript!

Thoughtful young lady!






No comments: