Friday, February 22, 2013

MLK Jr. - Power of His Oration

I posted this to my Facebook page in January 2013 - and want to archive here.

My students are always surprised when I tell them that the power of MLK's I Have A Dream speech, in part, emerged from the fact that it was a polished sermon, preached many times before.

Martin Luther King’s famous “I Have a Dream” speech, delivered  at the 28 August 1963 March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom, synthesized portions of his previous sermons and speeches, with selected statements by other prominent public figures.

I use this as an appeal to Minister's to merge their religious proclamation - with deliberate actions & responsible social & politic policy that include the Bible's central themes of love, justice & peace!

More from Stanford University here.

No comments: