Thursday, August 08, 2013

Perhaps you should say nothing ?

"The right word may be effective, but no word was ever as effective as a rightly timed pause." ~ Mark Twain.

I've learned in years of work with people that a calm, "sitting with Silence" (as I call it)  can often (1) best help people find their own counsel or pastoral need. 

And, (2) "sitting with Silence" often allows the hearer to gather more information as the other partner in conversation begins to fill the void of silence with additional unsolicited information.

And, (3) sometimes there is utter, deep meaning in "sitting with Silence."  Some of my most memorable times with the people I most love have involved just being together without words - or - quiet walks in the "pause" of a day.

And, (4) I believe a Presence and Power exists in Silence.

No comments: