Friday, September 10, 2010

Peacemaking - Prevention and Protection



I spent the day "on the Hill" as they say "in the Beltway" here in Washington D.C.

I think I have some of the insider lingo correct. I am not sure that I need to have it correct.

The important thing is that I had opportunity to meet today with persons in my Congresswoman's office - and with representatives in both my Senators offices.

Did I "change the world"? Certainly not in any singularly global or effective way.

But I raised my voice in clear ways, expressing to my federal representatives that I am aware that the U.S. has considerable forms of resources that shape Global issues. And, while I had specific requests toward issues with regard to Genocide and the situations in Sudan *right now* - I specifically expressed that the U.S. use more of its resources to advance peace - through preventive measures and protection efforts, instead of promoting militarism.

I am the recipient of many, many, many "things" as an American Citizen. I am the recipient of many, many, many "things" as a Christian.

And, I believe Americans - and Christians - can do more and do better to advance peace in our world.




And!

I had opportunity as a Carl Wilkens Fellow - to spend some one-on-one time with Carl Wilkens. Delightful.

No comments: