Saturday, September 25, 2010

Second Hand Clothes

I bought a new suit so that I could officiate at my Grandfather's Funeral a few years back. I own four separate clerical shirts which I have purchased new. And, my socks and underwear have been purchased new.

Besides that - every t-shirt, every dress shirt, every dress pant, every pair of jeans, my tennis-shoes or sandals or dress shoes - has been purchased at some second hand store.

I don't have to purchase clothes "Second Hand" but it becomes a means by which I steward resources in my life (our own family finances). And, it becomes a means by which I steward resources that others have "discarded" for re-use.

It seems to me that the way we dress is a reflection of the way we use resources. It seems to me that the way we purchase items is a reflection of our highest priorities and values. Brand names, new clothes are not my priority.

Living my life as a steward of all that is entrusted to me, that is important for me.

I try to live my life as one who reflects and embodies the life of God's Kingdom.

No comments: